Old McDonald had a farm, E, I, E, I ,O!! And on that farm he had and incredible first birthday party!
If you are looking for a fun and super cute birthday party for your little one, than you are going to love our farm inspired barnyard 1st Birthday, that we put together for little Francesco! I just love how this party all came together with all the little details to make for a truly fun party!
The party took place at Orono Park, which was a great location for all the little monkeys who came, because there was a large outdoor splash pad, park and pool. The outdoor scene added to the feel of being on a farm even though we were just a hop and a skip away from the city.
For the treats we decided to do farm animal inspired cupcakes with a small barn cake, “hay bails”, aka, rice krispie squares, apple pie pops (recipe below), apples, tarts, and candies. The loot bags were these adorable animal cookies that came in a box that look like a barn. It couldn’t have been more perfect.
I’ll let the pictures of this amazing party speak for themselves.
Apple Pie Pops Recipe
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 – 15 ounce package rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust (2 crusts)
- 10 paper or wooden lollipop sticks
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, cook apples, the 1/4 cup sugar, the 1 tsp. apple pie spice, the lemon juice, and salt over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until apples are nearly tender, stirring occasionally. Add flour to apple mixture; stirring often, until mixture is thickened and well combined. Mixture will thicken quickly.
- Unroll pie crusts. On a lightly floured surface, roll each crust to a 12-inch circle. Using a 3-inch round or leaf cutter, make 10 cutouts in each circle of dough.
- Arrange 10 of the cutouts on the prepared baking sheet. Press a lollipop stick firmly into the center of each dough cutout. Spoon a scant tablespoon of filling in the center of each cutout. You will have leftover filling.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg white and 1 tsp. water until frothy. Use a pastry brush or your fingers to brush mixture around the edge of each dough shape. Place a second cutout of dough on top of the filling. Use a fork to seal the edges, taking care that dough is sealed around lollipop stick.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and remaining 1 tsp. water. Brush atop pie pops. In a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice. Sprinkle over pops.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on the baking sheet. makes 10 pops.
xx – Diane and the little farmer